Single eyelets on our Hillbornes is definitely not a mistake.  These
details change over time, that's all.  I can't comment on why a small load
on the front of your Hillborne handles poorly while a 30 pound human near
the front doesn't.  I've run15-20 pounds on the Nitto Mini+platrack on
multiple s24Os on my Hillborne and it was great for me.