Patrick,

Yes, I do this for a living.  Some people joke that we anesthesiologists
pass gas for a living, but I prefer to say I keep people safe and
comfortable while they nap instead.  Had a nicer ring to it.

It's interesting to hear about your insurance program. I'm only recently
out of residency training so now I have to worry about which insurance
folks have and all the billing issues. Billing and insurance are by far the
things I like least about practicing medicine, and many physicians will
tell you the exact same thing.

Finally, thank you for saying thanks.   Most often an anesthesiologist's
job is a thankless one because we transfer our patients to recovery and
then must leave before the patient is awake enough to remember to say
thanks.  Happily most anesthesiologists have the type of personality that
doesn't need the spotlight all the time.  I am perfectly happy to sit at
the head of the OR table quietly and attentively caring for my patients
without fanfare and whatnot. So... Thank you!

Do you have any bike (or other) projects you have been meaning to get
around to?  Maybe now's your chance, right? :)

-Aaron