Keith,
Thanks for the interesting facts you bring up. They are all true and useful,
including that there have been a lot of people who have reported front
dérailleur systems as problematic.

However, my own experience is that front dérailleur triple systems have never
caused me any problems so I've never passed up on the low gear they offer.
24/36 is still noticeably lower than 34/42. I've been mildly disturbed that
multiple regions of the bike world (from mountain racers to Rivendell) have
been downplaying the usefulness of the front derailleur. There, I've just
jinxed myself right before today's ride with my claim of trouble-free front
shifting.

(Qualifier: Chainstay gouges due to chain suck have never bothered me.)

-Jim W.

Sent from my iPhone