I looked at the photo, and it doesn't look that abnormal. We have car
accidents in Seattle, too. I just go around the pile of debris, rather than
through it. When you look at the photo, you can see that the "travel lane"
is clean.

That said, I had to go through a pile of bottle glass in a narrow spot
yesterday, and was surprised that no flats ensued. It was probably just
luck, but overall, I get far fewer flats with wider tires. The lower air
pressure does work for me at least – the only flats I get these days are
from steel wires that come out of exploded car and truck tires.

Jan Heine
Compass Bicycles Ltd.
Seattle WA USA
http://www.compasscycle.com