I currently ride a Sam with stem shifters.  My motivation to switch from
bar end shifters to stem shifters had more to do with handlebar
experimentation than anything else.   I originally set up my Sam with
Noodles.  After a couple years I wanted to try something more upright.  The
upright bars I was interested in required MTB brakes so I could not use the
brakes on the Noodles. I liked the Noodles well enough that I wanted to be
able to revert back when and if desired. I decided it would be best to
eliminated the shifters from the equation and opted for stem shifters.  So
I removed the bar end shifters from the Noodles and moved them to the
stem.  I left the brakes, brake cables and stem attached to the Noodles and
hung them in the garage.  I can now switch between the Noodles and the
upright setup in a matter of minutes.  All I need to do is adjust the
brakes.  Funny thing is I haven't and I'm not sure I ever will.  The new
setup has worked out really well.  But I am 57, and if there is one thing I
learned it's never say never.

Matt

P.S.  Steve is correct in his comparison between stem and bar end
shifters.  The only thing I might disagree on is their use with drop bars,
I don't see a problem, but I will admit with any setup they take a little
getting use to ... just like and upright riding position.  But once you do
it's all gravy :>)