On 11/23/2014 10:57 PM, Bill Lindsay wrote:
I can only think of the one situation where you can't shift a stem shifter but can shift a barcon. I realize it's one you say that you do numerous times on every ride. You semi-rise out of the saddle on an incline, in the drops, and shift down one gear at a time as the incline steepens and then you shift up a gear at a time while you are still out of the saddle cresting the top, carrying your momentum through. You can shift a barcon because you can't stay out of the saddle and let go of the drops. You couldn't do that with a brifter, a thumbie, a downtube shifter, or a stem shifter. Only a shifter that is right there in your hand on the drops makes that possible.

What are the other of many situations where it's possible to shift a barcon but not possible to shift a stem shifter?

Here's one at the top of the list: You are going fast and the road is rough: alligatored, cracked, patches upon patches with small holes in between. (I don't know if you have stuff like that where you ride, but where I ride in the rural areas of Southern Maryland, there's lots and lots of it.) It's somewhat like riding on rumble strips only with the occasional bigger impact. On surfaces like that, I wouldn't venture to remove one hand from the bars and move it to the center line of the bike to shift, but with bar end shifters (and brifters, of course) you can hold on to the bar and maintain stability while shifting with your fingers or your palm.

But basically, in any situation where the bike could be jostled, either from road surface roughness or from irregular, gusting side winds it would be ill-advised and sometimes downright dangerous to get yourself into the position required to operate a stem shifter.