My water consumption depends very much on the temperature. In the early
morning, I often ride 50+ miles on half a bottle. (I usually start rides
well-hydrated.) If it's very hot and dry, I may drink a bottle every 10
miles. Listening to my body is key to completing challenging rides.

I also don't plan to ride for 5 hours without water. However, I also don't
limit myself by the fear of discomfort. If I have a 5% chance of being very
uncomfortable, but not seriously hurting myself, then that is a risk I am
willing to take in exchange for an unforgettable experience.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com