Thanks for weighing in with your experience Jan.
Sounds like you got >40 miles per bottle, so with 3 bottles you had at
least 50% margin for an 80 mile gap between water. No worries, pretty
simple.
I presume warmer sunnier conditions would reduce your miles per bottle, and
would eat into that margin.