Anne,

You don't sound like somebody who is limiting herself. I was thinking about
the people who write to me asking how I can ride these rides and not be
scared.

The precautions you plan to take are good ones. It's one thing to follow
your dream, and an entirely different thing to be foolhardy.

Funny thing about being tourists – I consider myself a cyclotourist, too. I
stopped numerous times to take photos during the Oregon Outback. I had a
choice between carrying a spare tire or my camera. It was an easy
decision... When I raced, I carried neither!

I hope to meet you at next year's Oregon Outback. I am sure you'll find the
ride enjoyable and rewarding.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly