I was talking with Jeff Jones about lighting options with his 29+ bikes
(which can't run a disk SON hub because of 142mm spacing) and he said that
one of his customers had good results with this fancy model:
http://www.velogical-engineering.com/rim-dynamo-en

I'm considering it for the 29+ I want to build, I could power a headlight
alone up front and also a B&M E-werk for charging batteries. Seems like a
good solution to the one drawback of the 29+ model (no dynohub). I'm also
wondering if some battery-powered lights (Cygolite, Light & Motion) have
advanced to the point of being tolerable to use now in terms of
reliability.