The author makes some good points:

http://bikelovejones1.blogspot.com/

A particular case involves a couple of my touring buds.  One (175 lbs)
bought an economical touring bike at REI.  He's completely un-mechanical,
dangerous with a crescent wrench & deadly with a screwdriver.  Before a
tour, he takes it to his mechanic, with instructions to "do whatever".  In
several years of riding and numerous tours, his replacement parts have been
tires, brakes, chain & cassette.

Another of our bids borrowed this bike and liked it so much he bought on
identical.  Bud #2 weighs 220 lbs (claimed).  Within a year he had broken
(not bent, warped, etc.) a rear rim to the extent he had to buy a new one
on tour.  The new wheel got him home but continued to break spokes.  He
went to his LBS, discussed his problem, and they advised a 40 spoke heavy
duty rim with MTB hub for a 220 lb guy carrying gear. No worries several
years and tours later.

Rich Lesnik's Hands-on-Wheels may be a good investment, not a luxury.  The
wheels on my Atlantis were hand-built by a local shop, and IIRC are north
of 30,000 miles.  This reminds me I need to check the braking surface as
nothing last forever.

dougP