I have two nearly identical Hillbornes (2010 and 2012). For me, the
advantages are

   1. redundancy - in case I want to tinker with one, the other remains
   rideable without any compromise in enjoyment
   2. winter readiness - when appropriate, one Hillborne has studded tires
   all the time (Chicago area)

Interestingly, I don't think these two are the start of an N+1 lifestyle.
Sure, I dream of having at least one of every kind of bike that ever
appealed to me (a single speed, a mixte, an internal gear bike, a
"bombproof" bike, a "fast" bike, etc.). But that's not driving bike-buying
choices (yet?).

I have however recently purchased a Bike Friday, because I've wanted a
folding bike even before I had the first Hillborne. They represent personal
mobility in a way that full-size bikes do not. Trust me, it's about as
similar to my Hillbornes as a 20"-wheeled bike can be (very high albatross
bars, seatpost with generous setback to "correct" for the "steep" 73-degree
seat tube, dyno lighting, bar-ends on thumbies, grip king pedals, silver
everywhere I could put it, and bags and a seat cover by The Fabulous
RandiJo herself).

Now that I've taken care of the home front and the travel front, I think
I'm done buying new bikes until my ship comes in or I need a trike. Oh
wait... I left "trike" off of the "appealing bikes" list above. Note that
"recumbent" is not on that list... just never wanted one.

If/when that ship comes in, one of the earlier uses of my new-found wealth
will be a physical trip to RBW, where I will order one or two each of the
Cheviot, Roadeo, ThenCurrentQuickSimple, AHH, and Bombadil. And a custom,
of course.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean