What a great post.  Made my day.  I understand the bit about the
spouse not wanting the bike in the house.  My wife would never allow
bike storage in the house.  When I was single the bikes used to live

I didn't know nearly as much about bikes when I first got my used
custom Rivendell (certainly never dreamed of being my own bike
mechanic!), and thought my Cannondale CAAD3 66cm was a swell road
bike.  The owner who I bought it used from allowed me to take the bike
and ride it for a couple of days.  Needless to say after my first ride
on the Rivendell, the Cannondale didn't get ridden much anymore.  I
had a BlackBerry back then and immediately after the shop ride that I
first took the Rivendell on I emailed the seller and said something to
the effect of "You're not getting it back!  Do you want cash or
check??".

I have learned a lot about bikes since then and mostly twist my own
wrenches now but my Rivendell (custom) is still my go-to bike.  I now
have a Redwood that ironically was available new around the time that
I purchased my Cannondale and I wish I had gone that direction, I just
didn't have the knowledge at that point in time and couldn't imagine
buying a bike without riding it first.

On a side note, I sold the Cannondale not long after acquiring my Riv
Custom to someone on the old version of this list (when it wasn't on
Google) who had their buddy's bike fly off the roof mounted bike rack
on the going down the 101.  It was a full 6500 Ultegra build that
didn't have that many miles on it so at least if they ditched the
C'dale frame they got some nice parts off of it.  ;)

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM, KC <kathyscarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This may not make it up because I am a new member and my first posting from
> over a week ago hasn't shown up.  I just want to share with everyone that I
> got my Cheviot 2 days ago and I love it..  Went on a long ride yesterday
> (with my husband riding his "new" Space Horse thanks to this group) and had
> so much fun.  Should've bought a good bike years ago.
>
> It is beautiful.  Only problem is I refused to leave it outside and my
> husband is not really pleased with it in the motor home.  But my son
> understood completely.  He bought a used Cross Check last week and has it in
> the house because he just loves looking at it (and he has several Rivs out
> in the garage so it shouldn't be quite as special an experience for him).
>
> I just don't have any good bicycle knowledge, although I've really been
> studying up and know 100 times more than I did 4 months ago.  So it was a
> little scary for me buying this bike, but I couldn't shake the way the
> Rivendell philosophy spoke to me and I daughter-in-law graciously let me
> ride her too-big-for-me Glorius enough that it helped.  I had to really rely
> on Keven.  He patiently answered all my questions, but really I had to just
> rely on him and I would say the bike is spot-on for me.  Did I mention it is
> beautiful, - in a very rugged, sporty way.  I agonized over orange because I
> loved my daughter-in-law's blue bikes, but the orange with the blue
> highlights is just perfect.
>
> As I said, I don't really know bikes but it was like a feast just looking at
> the beautiful bikes in their shop Monday.  The Clems and Clementines are
> there with beautiful paint jobs.  The curves on the Clementine are so nice.
> Makes me want to buy one even though that would be the most ridiculous thing
> I could do.  It is a sickness.  We'll be dropping by again to pick up a few
> things - if there is a specific photo someone would like, I'm sure they
> wouldn't mind if we took it.  Let me know.

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!