On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 1:00:31 PM UTC-7, Anne Paulson wrote:

> ... I don't think 50 pounds of gear
> will work well with the 28 mm tires which are the biggest his Ram will
> handle.

???   !!!   ???

I assume that bike must have fenders?  I'm on (fenderless) Ram number 3
(orange 58, blue 60, and now an orange 60).  All of them ran 33c with
substantial room left.  I never tried bigger tires, but I would have
expected 38c to work, so Anne's comment surprises me.  Maybe I'll see if my
new 39c tires, which are installed on another bike, will fit my Ram.

A year ago or so I rode Eugene -> San Francisco.  The great majority of the
fully loaded bikes I saw touring down Hwy 1 were either UJB road bikes, or
old mountain bikes, and the riders were all succeeding and having fun and
getting on down the road.  Don't overthink it...  just do it.  Having said
all of that, I think that Grant thought of the Ram as a rear loader, not a
front loader (and the absence of lowrider fittings on the fork bears that
out).  Put a rear rack and maybe a small front bag on your Ram, load it up,
and go for a tour.  :-)

~pb