Ha! Yes, you're totally correct. I only mention Surly as their otherwise
great bikes seem to have that one error. And it's not a QBP thing as Salsa
has relatively tall headtubes on even their racey bikes like the Warbird.
I'm sure there's a reason for it it, probably that it's easier to add
spacers but you can't take it away.

As for threadless question... I'm moving pretty strongly into the prefer
threadless camp. It seems like a pretty good change away from a good but
fiddly design to something that works well for me. Open face stems alone
make it worthwhile!