At the risk of sounding very Retrogrouch, I'll say I really don't understand
the perceived need for "stiff" cycling shoes, given the fairly low intensity of
pedaling a bicycle. I have worn minimalist shoes for a few years now because
they're extremely light and breathable and very comfortable to walk in. I can't
see how a stiff shoe would in any way improve the quality of my ride. Get
stripped down shoes and stronger feet!

I had worn New Balance 'Minimus' shoes for several years, but they degrade
prematurely with the adhesive on the sole being less than adequate. I recently
got a pair of Merrell Trail Glove 3's and they seem to be a significant
improvement over the New Balance 'Minimus' line. They have what they call a
"rock plate" in the forefoot, which is basically a piece of rubber added for
more impact protection. The sole is a bit more substantial than NB and I think
these will have better durability just based on the look of how the sole is
bonded. I also really like the rubber compound and tread pattern on the sole;
extremely grippy on the pedals, even when wet. I don't think you can do better
than this right now for a minimalist running shoe.

http://www.rei.com/product/879947/merrell-trail-glove-3-trail-running-shoes-mens

I've also recently switched to 45nrth "Heiruspecs" pedals and they are much
better than anything I've used previously (Thin Gripster, V.O Sabot, Gripkings,
etc.)