On 05/02/2015 05:12 PM, Michael Hechmer wrote:
This is the large Berthoud HB bag, 2586. I bought it from Boulder Bicycles, who advertise a "custom stiffiner."

Yes, that's got to be it.

The bag was designed to have the decaleur installed through the leather, so I'm sure doing it that way would be OK.

Perhaps that is what I am looking at, an Al (??) piece of flat metal on three sides of the bag. It is a little less than half the width of the leather strip. It would take a sharp bit and some patience to drill 4 holes in it and even then it looks like it would challenge the length of the 4 bolts, so I'm guessing just going through the leather, below the metal is appropriate.

Michael

On Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 4:58:52 PM UTC-4, Steve Palincsar wrote:

    On 05/02/2015 01:46 PM, Michael Hechmer wrote:
    > I have the new decaluer in hand but find myself unsure if it bolts
    > through the steel at the top of the bag or just through the leather
    > under the steel?  The latter certainly would be simpler and it
    ought
    > to suffice to stabilize the top of the bag.

    What kind of bag do you have?

    The Berthoud bags do not have any metal, just cloth reinforced with a
    leather strip at the top rear.  The decaleur bolts through that.

    I also have a Kirtland Tour Pak handlebar bag.  That one in
    addition to
    the leather strip at the top rear also has sheet metal inserts at the
    bottom of the bag and at the back.  When I hacked that and
    installed a
    Berthoud decaleur on it I drill all the way through leather and
    sheet metal.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RBW Owners Bunch" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To post to this group, send email to rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com <mailto:rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com>.