David:

As you can see, there is no single answer to the shimmy problem.
Personally, I think where the load is, both front / rear and high / low)
and how each of us rides are major factors.  A good example is Joe Bartoe's
experience with shimmy on his Hilsen with a light front load, whereas my
Atlantis will shimmy with a lightly loaded rear saddlebag but moving that
bag to the front solves the problem.  Atlantis & Homer are different bikes,
and Joe & I are different sizes and likely riding styles.

As to solving the puzzle, I found a gentle hill that allowed the bike roll
up to about 20 mph w/o pedaling (pedaling seems to dampen things for me).
I took 4 panniers loaded with books to simulate the weight of my gear, and
tried all front, all rear, some front, some rear, etc., until I found a
combination that was rock solid.  What works for me is 60% of the weight in
front & 40% rear.  For an S240 or a loding tour, I only need 2 bags so they
both go on the front.  In the photo, I don't recall what was in the saddle
bag but it was probably a last minute add for overflow, and the sleeping
pad hanging off the back can't weight much.

To avoid buying new stuff for only a few trips per year, take what you've
got & find a similar hill and experiment.  I think the no-hands is asking a
lot but I grant you should be able to ride the bike light handed & not in a
death grep.  Seriously try putting some heavy stuff in the basket BUT make
sure it can't shift or bounce around.  I had some dive weights in my Acorn
bag on time (they would let us drive tent stakes) and got shimmy for shimmy
(probably had 12 lbs of lead).

Location is another variable.  Weight up high (basket, rando bag, etc.)
seems to be shimmy enabling.  If you can't come up with a non-shimmy
combination with your existing rackage, you may have to look at low
riders.  IMHO getting the weight centered around the front axle seems to
improve life greatly.  I've used my big Ortleibs on my Tubus Duo front rack
and it's rock solid.

Another consideration that's been mentioned is the roller bearing headset
that Riv sells.  I've got one on my Atlantis and have not had any shimmy
since installing.  But then before that I'd worked around the shimmy with

Lastly, and probably heresay here, but I've had situations where I know the
Nitto Big Back rack was contributing to handling difficulties, albeit
likely overloaded by their standards.  As beautiful as they are, they lack
lateral triangulation and can develop resonance.  Tubus and other rack
makers design with a triangle, viewed from the rear, that greatly stiffens
the structure.  The Nitto R-26 (?) that I had for while is essentially a
pyramid, is made out of 10 mm tubing, and is as stiff as they come.
Unfortunately the platform was a little small for my needs.

On our next S24O, I'll throw all my junk on the back to see how things work
with Tubus rack since I got the needle bearing headset.  The downside to
front low riders is limited clearance.

dougP