I too was disappointed with the "study." By study I thought Jan meant a
scientific study where a hypotheses was rigorously tested with a repeatable
methodology that would refine the hypothesis. Instead it was subjective
with non-repeatable observations of how Jan reacted to a system that was
different to his own pedal system and possibly his own bias. At the end of
the short article, we are left with an untested hypothesis that "Uphills,
especially short rises, are easier when your feet are firmly attached to
the pedals."

I personally don't disagree with this hypothesis, just like in the past I
didn't disagree with the hypothesis that tire pressure was directly
correlated to speed.

I think if Jan had advertised that he had some observations of pedal
performance or some such wording, then I would have not had an expectation
of a (scientific) study.

Joe "huge fan of BQ and pay for 3 subscriptions" Ramey