I have an SP PV-8 hub on one Hillborne and a current-generation SON28 on
another Hillborne. I like them both just fine. I may end up getting another
dynamo'd wheel in the future and, barring near-future failure of the one I
have, will probably get another SP PV-8 just because it's >$150 cheaper.

If I were a generally faster rider I might've gotten an SP SV-8 (which I
think is the one intended to work with smaller wheels with higher typical
rotation rates. But I don't like the notion of worrying about going "fast
enough to see" when I have a choice.

I use them both with an Edelux II and find I have plenty of light when I
need it, even below 10mph. Off-the-cuff I can't tell whether one hub yields
more light than the other at the same speed. Nor can I tell that one is
more easy-rolling than the other. Sometimes I do feel that the SON28 is
rolls *smoother* but not necessarily *easier*. On both I can feel the
resistance when the light is on versus when the light is off. And for both
I *think* I can tell that they do not roll as easily as a non-dynamo hub
even when the light is off. But assuming that's true it's not nearly enough
to make me want to go back to a non-dynamo hub. I would consider going
back only if either becomes unreliable as a light source in the next few
thousand miles.

I got the SON28 simply because I suspected (and still suspect) that it will
last longer. With only hundreds of miles on each (all problem free) I can't
speak with experience on life expectancy. I'd've been very disappointed if
either had had issues before now. I prefer the SON28's connection style but
the SP's works fine also.

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean