Counter-current riding (what BikeSnobNYC calls "bike salmoning" has
escalated rapidly in the last five years.

A friend of mine was on the citizen's police review board of Richmond, CA a
few years back. His explanation of the original behavior came from street
cops: Allegedly, the practice was originally done by drug dealers, who rode
against traffic in order to sight police cruisers quickly enough to ditch
contraband. That can no longer be the case, or else there are hundreds of
drug dealers biking around my neighborhood. Some of them are little old
ladies of advanced years, and some are 12-year old kids.

When I first complaint about this to my 74-year old mother, who'd been out
of the US for several years, she told me that in her 50s youth, pedestrians
were advised to walk on the pavement against the flow of street traffic, so
that they could see dangerous vehicles in advance. She also said that it
was advised in women's self-defense classes. I certainly don't remember
such advice from my own 70s yoot; does anyone know whether this advice has
resurfaced?

On the occasions where I come to a near-collision with a salmoning cyclist,
I've wanted to interrogate them: What's your reasoning here? Why do you
think this is a good idea? It's gratifying to think that some people really
don't have a self-justification for this silly, dangerous behavior, beyond
"I saw somebody else doing it", and they'll change if someone just tells
them that they aren't wearing any clothes.

Unfortunately, I live in a big college town, where a large percentage of
the bike population are 18-25 year olds away from adult supervision for the
first time in their lives. Upsetting other people and defying rules are
often features, not bugs.

Peter Adler
that's when I turn on the highbeams, to blind the idiots in
Berkeley, CA/USA