My wife has them on her Glorius. Compared to Shimano 9 speed bar ends,
the detents are chunkier (takes more effort to switch between) and
they're just a hair off. She sometimes needs to overshift than back it
into the correct gear. But they're 90% there.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclotourist/16632363596

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 8:27 AM, Surlyprof <jmcclu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Welcome, Doug.  I used the Sunrace Thumb Shifters for a while with a set of
> Bosco bars.  They worked great.  The only reason I stopped using them is
> that I prefer bar ends with an Albastache set up.  I don't remember any
> correlation between the click of the shifter and the actual shift of the
> derailleur.  I also don't remember that bothering me at all.  It shifts when
> it shifts and, as long as I had the derailleur dialed in, it shifted well.
> The one thing I have noticed now that I am back to using Silver friction
> shifters, I don't remember ever encountering ghost shifting with the Sunrace
> as I sometimes do on the Silver friction shifters when the d-ring gets
> loose.  The only thing I can assume (pure assumption, mind you) is that the
> ratchet mechanism in the Sunrace shifters helped keep it from ghost
> shifting.  I'm sure it could happen with the Sunrace if it got loose but I
> never encountered that problem.
>
> The build of the Sunrace appears a little plastic-y but they were sturdy and
> worked really well.  Surprisingly well considering an $18 price point
> (still!).  I suppose that is why Rivendell has continued carrying them and
> is spec'ing them on the Clem.
>
> John
>
> PS:  I also test rode the Clem and it is a smooth and agile ride.  If I had
> the money and the space, the 52cm Clem would likely be my N+1
>

> On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 10:49:22 AM UTC-7, Rider in the Storm wrote:
>>
>> New member here, first post. I am enjoying this group and appreciate the
>> input from all. I am also considering the Clem Smith Jr. and have a question
>> about the use of index shifters on a bike with friction shifting. The Riv
>> website says it is weird but won't cause issues while riding. I'm looking
>> for your thoughts and whether anyone has any experience with this setup.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doug

Cheers,
David

Member, Supreme Council of Cyberspace

"it isn't a contest. Just enjoy the ride." - Seth Vidal