> On Jul 13, 2015, at 9:45 AM, 'Tim' via RBW Owners Bunch
> <rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> How do you know when a headset is worn out? My Hilsen has an Ultegra headset.
> The bike was built up in 2011. There seems to be kind of a dead spot when the
> wheel is centered up. If you have the wheel centered and move the handlebars
> to the left and right, it's like you have to overcome inertia to get past
> that spot. The best way I can describe it is it feels a little like when you
> swing one of those swinging saloon doors, the way they kind of pause at dead
> center. It makes me wonder if the headset needs replaced. If so, any
> suggestions as to a good headsets? Thanks!

Yes, that headset probably needs to be replaced but first it should be checked
for proper preload adjustment.  The wheel, fender if any and handlebars/stem
need to be removed to do this.

Headset longevity is interesting- my Riv A/R has had the same Stronglight
headset since 1996, my Ritchey has had the same AheadSet threaded with
cartridge bearings since 1998 (and that one came on the frame which I bought
used, I have no idea how long it’s been on there), my home built bike has a
Stronglight headset that’s been on there for 10 years.  So my advice would be a
Stronglight headset since I have had great results with them.

Jobst Brandt opined that what damages headsets is long periods of riding in a
straight line which results in the headset being loaded without moving, causing
micro welding adhesions between the ball and the fork race as the grease is
pushed out of the contact point.  When the fork is eventually turned a few
atoms of metal are torn off the race and/or cup.  I don’t know if that’s really
correct, but I do remember reading reports of headset damage like this on pro
team bikes that had never been ridden- they had been carried on a roof rack
with a fork mount, which transmitted all of the road vibrations into an
unmoving headset and caused wear of the races and cups.  For this reason I
never use a fork-mounted roof rack for ferrying my bikes around.  Of course, I
almost never put by bike in a car anyway, preferring to ride from home as much
as possible.  I probably should put it in the car and drive to a ride, I am
bored of my usual roads.