I've found that I prefer the chain stay mounting to be a bit forward of
perfect alignment to ease removing and replacement of the rear wheel. I use
a spacer there, but not long enough to bring the fender to an equidistant
position with the seat stay and strut placements. It's not really
noticeable unless someone is looking for it. To solve your triangulation
issue, install a rack that attaches to the fenders, like the VO
Constructeur rear rack, for instance. Or, you could simply add a strut and
use the rack eyelets. The rear rack, with two mounting points to the
fender, would be stiffer. I don't ride with fenders in the dry part of the
summer (when I mostly do short, intense, conditioning rides). but I leave
the rack mounted to the fenders when I remove them. It takes me all of five
minutes to reattach the fenders when I need them or the rack.