Well, I generally do running. But hiking is nearly the same.

I wear MUSA shorts or breeches. I usually don't take a backpack (that's
what my bike is for), I don't need for during the day, I don't need water
for anything less than 5 hours (when you don't eat carbs, you don't need
water as often). If the weather is iffy, I tie my single layer ventile
around my waist and off I go. Cotton t-shirt. Riv bike hat to keep sweat
off my glasses. I won't mention whether or not I take a pipe and find a
spot to hang out for an hour or so before heading back. Grin.

With abandon,
Patrick