The purpose of a kickstand plate is to support a kickstand. Evidently experience has shown them that it won't properly support a 2-legged kickstand. Using the built-in plate is fine -- I'm pretty sure I'm using a built-in plate with a 2-legged kick stand on my Kogswell P/R Porteur -- but I don't use it in such a way as to over-stress the plate. We've seen at least one testimonial (from Shawn) about what can happen when you do that and it all goes pear-shaped.

The way I see it, you have two choices: do it the way they say to do it, even though it doesn't seem to make much sense; or, do it the way it seems sensible to you and take your chances. Or, as someone in a movie once put it, "You've got to ask yourself one question, 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya?"