An interesting question, Fred.  My wife's Betty came with cream  fenders
which look very nice on her bike.  At that time I was looking to replace a
broken Honjo on my Ram and decided to go with the cream fenders again.
 They don't  look particularly good on my Ram with its slightly darker blue
pain.  Having lived with the longboards for two years now I have decided
never to buy plastic fenders again.  It feels like I am constantly
realigning these two sets of fenders while the VO metal fenders on the
Saluki and tandem never need any attention at all.  I had a pair of Bertoud
steel fenders on an Ebisu which I used for commuting and they were bomb
proof.  The Honjo's which were on my Ram went 9 years before the rear one
broke and they were also very stable.

The bottom line is that a very few extra $$ up front and another hour on
installation pays back many fold in time and money as you go forward.

Michael