Actually, it's not all that difficult.  The frame in the pic I posted had
126mm rear dropout spacing and I wanted 120mm so I could use an existing
hub I had.  So I followed Sheldon's instructions
at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html and everything worked
perfectly.  The only reason I took it to an LBS is to have them check to
make sure the rear drop-out's remained parallel during my respacing process
by using these
tools
http://www.parktool.com/product/frame-and-fork-end-alignment-gauge-set-FFG-2
, way too expensive for me to buy for a one-time project like this, but the
LBS only charged me $20 to do it.
The fork was beyond rescue so I bought one of those general purpose ones
from a web retailer and took it from there (Riv has a couple of great ones
for sale if you need a new one and want to pop the bucks for one of theirs).