I have an online friend who is currently riding an upright bike (some
Trek model, I don't know), riding 5 times a week, and wants to upgrade
to a faster bike. She's willing to spend a good chunk of money, $2000
or so. I'm figuring a Sam might be a good choice (you can get a built
up Sam for $2K, right?). Anyone have a  smaller sized Sam in the
Dallas area that they're willing to offer up for a test ride?

As with most people we advise, she probably won't end up with a
Rivendell bike even though she'd be better off with one. But at least
I gave her the heads-up to make sure the bike she picks allows decent
width tires. So that's something. I was looking at bikes sold by
Richardson Bike Mart, which seems to be a good Dallas shop. There's
this Trek 7.7 FX, that's supposedly a hybrid bike that "rockets along
roads, cruises along bike paths, and even hits dirt roads." The thing
is shod with 25mm tires! Why?

--
-- Anne Paulson

It isn't a contest. Enjoy the ride.