Dear Patrick,

I get wet on all-day rides if it is raining, either from wind-driven rain,
or from my own cooling system. I can stay comfortable, but I won't stay dry.

I've tried cotton analogy. Yep, it is great stuff, but it doesn't keep up
with my sweat rate if I'm riding hard.

Others: I don't sweat out single-layer Ventile (I've owned a few over the
years), but it wets out from the rain. I sweat out double-layer Ventile (my
current general use jacket is a Hilltrek Greenspot jacket), but it is
effectively waterproof for walking around and the like, and it is a
wonderful backpacking jacket. The synthetic waterproof-breatheables don't
keep up either (or the various gore-tex products, e-vent, and a couple of
Patagonia WP+B things). The best for cycling is a heavily-vented waterproof
or waterproof-breathable, and those leak at the openings--wet again.

My favorite commuting jacket is a lined cotton poplin jacket (like the
Greenspot).

I pays my money and makes my choice.

Best,

Will