I think it depends on where you run your bars in normal drops.  I like mine
a few cm below the saddle and my dirt drops hook position about the same.
 When descending rough stuff I like to be stretched out and low, keeping
the COG as low as possible.  With the new Cowchippers that have the hoods
more like regular drops I might run the hoods level with the saddle and the
drops where they fall.

~mike
Carlsbad Ca