A related aside: I love drops (again, after a long journey, I've settled on
the Maes Parallel) for dirt, but OTOH, I've come full circle and now
dislike drops for singletrack, largely because "normal" drops put the brake
levers too far away, and "dirt" drops are uncomfortable, for me.

(I also *think* I'll like 26" wheels for technical stuff, tho' a 3" 26"
Knard might be the parrot's toothpaste. We'll see, as I have just traded
resume and LI work for a rather nice 1996 Bontrager Race Lite. Isn't a Race
Lite "rivendell-sh"?)