Hi,

First, thanks to all who replied to my post and the questions I posed.  A
lot of help, but so far not all of the problems have been solved.  I've
played with the cable adjusters and the tension seems to be reduced
somewhat.  The manual says, "When winding the cable adjusters out, the
cable tension is increased."  This suggests that with the cable adjusters
tightened all the way (in), the shifters should be easiest to turn.  I
don't think there's much I can do beyond this to make shifting easier; I
guess I'll develop a right forearm like a tennis pro, which should allow me
to spin some yarns.

As for the freewheeling, I've pretty much isolated the issue to a couple of
gear shifts -- from 5th to 6th and 10th to 11th, and the equivalent
downshifts.  As others have noted, a slight pause and the shifting is
pretty seamless.  I would have hoped and expected that shifting would have
been seamless between all gears with the possible exception of the oft
noted 7th to 8th.  Comments on this would be appreciated.

With respect to the questions asked by those of you who replied.  Here are
some answers:

1.  The Simpleone normally has a 120 mm rear drop out spacing.  The Rohloff
hub spacing is 135 mm.  Respecting is relatively easy for a steel framed
bicycle.  My respecting was done by a custom frame builder.  He also reset
the dropouts to ensure they are parallel.

2.  Some suggested that having the hub serviced might resolve the
freewheeling issue.  Unfortunately, it was serviced completely just before
the build.  Oh well.

3. Noise.  Some respondents suggested that their hub is pretty much silent.
 I've found mine to be silent in the "upper register," gears 8-14.  7th
gear is clearly the loudest and the other gears in the lower register also
are accompanied with some friction-related noise.  I'm not bothered but am
curious whether a perfectly operating hub should be virtually silent in all
gears when not shifting.

Even with these issues, I find I falling for this bike.  I find myself
finding opportunities to ride it that I might have otherwise passed up.  I
also find I'm not want to take my AHH out as of yet.  It may still be the
newness or my continuing curiosity about this new machine.  Still, I love
the ride and the quirks.  More to come with more experience with it.

Steve Cole
Arlington, VA 22203