Edwin -- I agree with your suggestions, but not with the "racer"
qualification.

Instead of "driving/riding like a racer", I'd say "driving/riding
aggressively", or more specifically "driving/riding with a reasonable
suspicion of landing on one's head".

Racing driving, stunt driving, etc, are reasonable situations to wear a
helmet in a car.  But there aren't too many more situations because cars
have four wheels and are good at staying on them.  A notable exception
would be winter storms; snow and ice cause plenty of cars on their sides or
tops.
Most of us simply won't drive in those dangerous situations, and if you've
ignored common sense enough to drive in a winter storm, I doubt you'd have
the common sense or forethought to wear a helmet.

Bicycle riding, however, leaves one much more likely to land on one's
head.  Bicycles fall over by nature.  Even when riding around town, a
surprise low-speed accident with a careless auto, bicycle, pedestrian,
pothole, or animal could cause you to fall over and bonk your head.  Of
course, aggressive riding raises the risk, but it doesn't need to be
"racing" to be aggressive/high risk behavior.
The likelihood of a fall may be very low due to your riding style, safety
(lighting/mirrors/reflective), behavior, time of day, and other factors.
But it's still a lot more likely than if you were riding a four wheel
bicycle that doesn't tip over on its own, and more likely than if you were
just walking, showering, shaving, fly fishing, or whatever.

At least, that's the reasoning I use to always wear a helmet.  High risk =
cover your dome.
When I flew aircraft in the military I wore a helmet.  When I operate my
motorcycle, I wear a helmet.  When I ride my bike, I wear a helmet.  Also,
I ride aggressively (aka, "like an enthusiastic clutz").

I don't believe that helmet should be required by law when cycling, because
it discourages riding.
But, I believe that all riders should be smart enough to wear a helmet.
I also believe that organizers of cycling events are correct to require
helmet use in order to participate.

Tim