Benz brings up a very good point, and we should listen to him because he
has experience in these things. Yes, many such “studies” are political in
nature and funded by special interests. So…I don’t know about this study,
but many such studies have been funded by the automobile insurance industry
and auto interest groups such as AAA. They don’t get insurance premium
payments from bicyclists and their members don’t like having to steer
around bicyclists on the road. So they have an interest in getting
bicyclists off of the road. Hence…mandatory helmet laws! Mandatory helmet
laws have proven to be an extremely effective way to reduce ridership. So
any “study” that recommends mandatory helmet laws without addressing the
reduced ridership that such laws would cause is immediately suspect.

Bottom line, anybody who recommends mandatory helmet laws without
acknowledging that mandatory helmet laws reduce bicycle ridership is full
of BS. I can’t put it in a nicer way. Again, I am pro-helmet. I am an LCI
(bicycle safety instructor). I teach bicycle safety in schools all the
time. We give them helmets, we make them wear them during class and we
encourage them to wear them when the class is over. But many kids (and
adults) don’t like wearing helmets and making them wear a helmet reduces
ridership. I wish that this was not true, but my wishing does not change
the truth. Study after study has proven that mandatory helmet laws reduce
ridership. My own personal experience is that mandatory helmet use reduces
ridership. Just ask any potential bicycle rider. The truth that mandatory
helmet use reduces ridership is intuitively obvious to the casual observer!
Does anyone honestly dispute this truth? Why don’t mandatory helmet law
supporters ever mention this simple truth?

Ron Mc wonders if the surgeons have helmets for sale. Probably not, in my
view; I still put my money on AAA to be the financiers for this study. But
then the study identifies lower facial injuries as a problem, so maybe they
want to develop full face helmets for bicyclists and make them mandatory.
That should get those pesky bicyclists off of the road! Interesting though
is the fact that the study says nothing about neck injuries. Most other
studies recognize the fact that helmets INCREASE neck injuries. This is
because the helmet catches on the ground or other objects and twists the
neck. I have seen figures that helmets reduce head injuries by 15% but
increase neck injuries by 11%. I would be interested in reading another
impartial study that would scientifically measure helmet
effectiveness…clearly, this study we are discussing here does not qualify.

Steve, I don’t think that Garth and Benz are the least bit cynical. They
are just realistic.

Doug