My experience, which is extensive but not necessarily definitive, is that
centerpulls can be as good as other types of brakes, but that they are not
by any means necessarily better, and that they have been, IME, sometimes
worse. IOW, the type of brake is less important than the quality of it and
hardware, and the quality of the setup.

Two anecdotes: first: I used a Dura Ace centerpull (rebranded Tourney, if
my source was right, who said that Shimano produced these for about 6
months circa 1976 until they decided to jump on the Campy sidepull
bandwagon. At any rate, I'd used these on a commuter (or rather, just one,
the front, since it was a fixie) and found them excellent. But when I used
the same brake on my erstwhile Motobecane Grand Record grocery getter, I
found that slowing from a fast downhill roll with a heavy load was fraught
with peril -- salmon pads; squeezing harder didn't get more braking. I
replaced it with a dual pivot and felt much more secure.

Second: Preliminary: "good" qualifying "brake" involves not only friction
force for a given hand pressure, but also ultimate braking force, and also
modulation. Top line V brakes are as powerful as anything not hydraulic,
but they don't modulate as well as other types. Ditto cable disks. OTOH,
many low profile cantis are just weak, and the Road version of the BB7 that
I used was as useless, no more and no less, as the professionally set up
Mafac cantis (longer arm Tandem version in front) on the Herse (yes,
salmons).

Point of anecdote: in the light of the above, the *best* brakes I ever used
were IRD high profile cantis set up by Riv staff on my erstwhile Sam Hill:
as powerful as V brakes, modulated better than anything else I've used.

Overall point: don't sweat the kind of brake unless what you are using is
ineffective. Save you Xmas points for something useful like leather or
tweed fender flaps (or a pair of $500 plastic sunglasses). *Juuuuust* kidding
about the flaps and glasses, but you get my point.

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 3:48 PM, drew <drewbeckme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> so. it's nearing the holiday season. people are asking me what i want, and
> this is usually where i ask for bikey stuff, but currently the bikes are
> all in pretty good shape. not a lot to work on. no accessories needed etc.
> not a bad situation to be in. after consistent prodding for gift ideas, i
> have reverted back to an old idea of switch the sam over from silver
> sidepulls to centerpulls.  far from a necessary swap, but something to
> think about and do.  my understanding is that the good ones can stop better
> than sidepulls and the aesthetics are nicer in my opinion.
>
> ive only ever run canti's, sidepulls or cheap vintage centerpulls. so,
> what do you like and why?  im only familiar with the paul racers and the VO
> ones? what else is out there i should consider. ORRR is this not worth it
> at all and i should ask for money ill spend on groceries and paying bills.
>
> also, for context. this is for a sam running 700x50 tires w/o fenders.

Other professional writing services.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nouvelle Mexique,  Vereinigte Staaten