I agree with don't fix it if it's not broken, and also agree with Bill's
merino undies.  But 40 yrs on my old Weinmann's, I've been through every
possible brake shoe combination that would fit, and found the Kool Stop
Dura cartridges were the very best (especially in front) because of their
spherical washer, and that they self-align and self-toe if you install them
per the instructions.  Paul Moon straddle cable yokes also improve CPs,
partly due to the ease of adjusting cables, but I also believe they provide
optimum normal angle on the factory straddle cables.