I live in Manitoba, Canada. Like some have mentioned here. when it's dry
the dirt becomes very hard and smooth. I have ridden my road bike with 23's
and flown across it. Same with smooth gravel. That is the exception though,
not the rule. Typically I have been running 32mm Challenge Grifo XS, which
is a very fine file tread with a supple casing. This summer I picked up the
38mm Compass Barlow Pass (700C) and they are even better. I'm a firm
believer now that rolling resistance isn't directly related to tire width.
It has so much more to do with sidewall suppleness and tread compound.

SO... If you're riding un-loaded, I think 30-32 is a nice place to start.
Anything larger and you'll definitely get more float, but it becomes more
important to have a light and supple casing. Otherwise you just end up with
a big fat dead feeling hunk of rubber. My Dad rides some kind of
Continental 50mm slick, and sometimes Marathons, and I feel like the brakes
are rubbing when compared to the Barlow Pass.