I am so guilty of this!!  I've got a perfectly good bike (Surly Karate
Monkey with Deore groupset) but I still find myself getting excited when I
see other bikes and I'm constantly planning my "next build", both in my
mind and on BikeCad.  I think my problem is that deep down, I want a
classic looking bike (ie, not a modern MTB) with silver components (not
black, again like modern MTB).  Some Riv models come close but there are
still issues for me and I think custom is the only way to get what I truly
want and at this point I'm not even sure what that is, exactly.  Probably a
cross between a Bombadil & a Hunqapillar with maybe some Atlantis thrown
in.