While the phrase "sit-up-and-beg" might be fairly descriptive, I feel like
it reflects a drop bar view of the world, and is perhaps somewhat demeaning
to riders who are capable of enjoying a more upright stance on a bicycle.
When riding about on my Clementine, I sit up and beg for no one. I would
describe my body position as stately, yet convivial. It reflects a more
observant posture toward one's surroundings, less self-involved as a body
hunched over the handlebars, eyes forced forward, neck under strain. In the
convivial stance, one is more apt to notice a neighbor on the side of the
road; it offers an easier position from which to lift a hand and give a
friendly wave. This is of course simply the physical manifestation of the
bicycle designer's philosophy toward riding a bicycle. And those who ride
this type of design, if they haven't adopted this philosophy already, soon
appreciate its many charms and advantages--coming full cycle then, a case
of form follows function. (Or they sell the bicycle.) Note that, as an
ex-competitive cyclist, when time permits I still enjoy the occasional
ramble on one of my drop bar bicycles. And not that, hands on the
Clementine's Bullmoose crossbar, I can't crank up to Main Street automobile
speeds. And not that I won't compare me some Compass Switchbacks vs. the
stock Kendas in the near future...life is so nuanced!