I agree that Paul Racers give you more fender clearance than Tektro R559
calipers. I use Racers on my Riv Road (where clearance is very tight) and I
can comfortably fit VO "hammered" 45 mm fenders over 650 x 38 Pari-Motos.

The arms of the R559 calipers intrude more into the vertical fender space.
With those calipers, I could fit 38 mm tires and SKS P45 fenders, but not
the VO "hammered" 45s (that are a little thicker).

On my girlfriend's San Marcos, I could probably fit 650 x 42s under the P45
fenders, but the brake caliper would push the front fender lip into the
tire space occasionally.  650 x 38s give just enough room so the fender
never rubs.

Pari-Moto tires are cheap, light, supple, and available in both 650 x 38
and 42 sizes.  Their actual width is 37-38 mm on PL23 rims.  They've held
up well for us and they ride great.

Cheers,
Tim