My girlfriends SM is a 51 cm 1st generation (pearly blue).

AFAIK, besides the color change (to tiburon blue), the only other changes
from 1st to 2nd generation San Marcos are to the fork: new fork legs with a
more "classic" curve, and mid-fork eyelets, a la Riv.

I don't believe there were any other changes to geometry or clearance
between the generations.

The 650b and 700c San Marcos frames each have different tire clearances.
The 650b fits a wider tire (stated clearance 38 mm) than the 700c (stated
clearance 35 mm).

In fact, the 650b still has pretty generous room with 650 x 38 tires,
enough for 38 + fenders or for a 650 x 42 tire (Hetres at least, which
don't have the extra thick tread of the Fatty Rumpkin).

Cheers,
Tim