Bill, I think you're bang on with your analysis and description, thanks for
breaking it down and examining/explaining the shifter.

I'm not upset at Riv for sourcing this part, its just less then ideal and the
nuances of the shifter in this application make it difficult to live with. This
is which why I ponied up for some ultegra bar ends. It's good to hear the sun
race bodies will house the barcon so further options there.

Now this may offend some, and call me new school, but I don't really understand
the benefit of friction shifting in the rear. What is the point of being able
to trim the rear derailer? it's either in line or not in line and when it's not
in line it runs like crap.  I know it's all personal preference and no one way
is the right way, but I'll take a well tuned index system any day. I don't want
to have to think about or customize rear derailer alignment. Front shifting on
the other hand I love having the ability to smoothly move the derailer along
its plane to prevent chain rub.

Cheers everyone!