Mark

Without question, if you position your derailer perfectly with your
shifters and then just ride down the road and your derailer after a while
moves itself because your shifter allows it to move with insufficient
friction, that's unacceptable.  The other posters on this thread who don't
like those shifters are mostly complaining about where the clicks are in
one direction and that those clicks unnecessarily force them to position
their derailer incorrectly.  I think it's a totally different problem.
That little 4mm allen bolt is the only way to increase the friction in the
system.  If you really have cranked down on that, and the shifter is still
failing to hold the derailer in position, then that shifter should be
replaced and you shouldn't have to pay for it.  Friction shifters with
insufficient friction to hold the derailer in position are useless.

Those stem shifters that you are holding up against the stem?  You are
holding them up backwards.  Turn them around the right way and you'll see
they won't interfere.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA