> Be aware that what Jan found to be faster are fat, *supple* tires -- not
> your 38 mm Paselas. The fastest tires in the test, IIRC, were some 24 mm
> racing tires, not because there were skinny but because they were very
> supple.
>
> A fat, heavy, stiff tire will all else equal be a dog comparatively
> speaking.

I don't know. My 37mm Paselas are pretty supple. Maybe not as supple
as some in the test, but when compared with other 700c tires in it's
class the Pasela fairs well in suppleness and weight. The 35c pasela
did really well in the performance test that was published in BQ Vol5
#1. At that time they were the fastest of the "fat" 700c tires
tested.

"The surprisingly fast times of a few tires, such as the Panaracer
"Pasela" (34.5m m wide), the Avocet "Cross" (34.5mm) and the
Mitsoboshi "Trimline" (37mm) appear to be mostly due to their great
width."

My fast preference is the 32c tg pasela. I run them on a light
aluminum go-fast and I'll pick them over every other tire I own.
Again, they hold there own in suppleness and weight when compared to
others in their class. I ride this bike with some really fast riders
here in austin with carbon and skinny's and when they drop me I never
blame the tire. The engine however... now that's another story.