On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Cycletex <clifwrightpho...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't know. My 37mm Paselas are pretty supple. Maybe not as supple
> as some in the test, but when compared with other 700c tires in it's
> class the Pasela fairs well in suppleness and weight. The 35c pasela
> did really well in the performance test that was published in BQ Vol5
> #1. At that time they were the fastest of the "fat" 700c tires
> tested.
>
> "The surprisingly fast times of a few tires, such as the Panaracer
> "Pasela" (34.5m m wide), the Avocet "Cross" (34.5mm) and the
> Mitsoboshi "Trimline" (37mm) appear to be mostly due to their great
> width."

Perhaps the Paselas aren't a good example overall, but since my Riv roads
have 559 or 571 wheels, I am pretty limited in the "good" road tires I can
find. I used 1.25 Paselas for a while but switched (on the commuter) to
22-23 mm (actual) Conti Grand Prix and Specialized Turbos because these, at
least, fell faster and more nimble -- and the Paselas only weigh about 40
grams more, each -- 240 vs 200 grams. I know the Turbos, in particular,
which I've used off and on for 18 years, are among my favorites and, if they
came in a 28, would be even more favorite. (I have a stash of Turbos, since
I believe that they haven't been made for some time.)

BTW, when I say "feel" faster, I don't buy the "more vibration makes it feel
faster" hypothesis; it's not vibration but smoothness and computer readouts
that form my judgement. The Turbos in particular feel as smooth at 90/100 as
the Paselas did a 70/80, but then the Turbos have always seemed
exceptionally smooth despite their narrow width.

The only other Paselas I've used recently were 27X1.25s, wire bead, and
those felt like dogs; my experience, of course. Perhaps there are Paselas
and Paselas.

> My fast preference is the 32c tg pasela. I run them on a light
> aluminum go-fast and I'll pick them over every other tire I own.
> Again, they hold there own in suppleness and weight when compared to
> others in their class. I ride this bike with some really fast riders
> here in austin with carbon and skinny's and when they drop me I never
> blame the tire. The engine however... now that's another story.

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
For professional resumes, contact
Patrick Moore, ACRW at resumespecialt...@gmail.com