I won't enter into the tire width debate. But I will offer the
following data point. On a timed group ride a couple of years ago this
guy came in 21st out of 107 on a Hilsen with 23 mm Continental tires:

http://tinyurl.com/yldr4yv

I didn't get to talk to him about how the Hilsen handled with 23s, but
when considering the race results, the skinny tires don't seem to have
been a detriment. Whether fatter tires would have made him faster is
impossible to know, I suppose, but I somehow doubt it, given that the
route was essentially one long climb from beginning to end, with some
sections with steep gradients.

By the way, this guy's bike build was rather unconventional in
Rivendell's scheme of things: he had a threadless fork/stem,
Campagnolo wheels, and a Campagnolo Record gruppo, which included
carbon cranks and levers. I would imagine that his Hilsen was
considerably lighter than a more typical Riv build.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying that at least one person
out there has transformed an ostensibly "country bike" Hilsen into a
"road" bike and is successfully using it in that guise.

Aaron