On Dec 4, 11:03 am, JoelMatthews <joelmatth...@mac.com> wrote:

> However, if you look around most riding web sites, and engage in
> conversation with people about bikes on a regular basis, there is a
> decidedly marked tendency to refer to racers and racing bikes as
> 'serious' and other uses 'casual.'

my poodles feel the same way.  they take offense to being grouped in
the "non-sporting" breed group, especially when we see all those pudgy
labradors with custom collars and haughty weimaraners, who really look
the part with those sleek lines but are quite clueless when it comes
to actual "sporting."  and then there are those perfectly groomed
setters that only fetch on the weekends.  my dogs hike, run, swim, and
retrieve regularly.  they even go mountain biking with me.  so, it's
easy to see whey they are a bit resentful about being tagged non-
sporting just because they don't hunt and participate in "field
activities."

i've argued this point with sporting breed owners ad nauseum and
written to the AKC, but nobody seems to care.