I've found randonneuring to be a happy medium between racing and ...
well I don't know what, "serious" riding? When I first started cycling
"seriously" (ie every single day I had off work for 8 to 9hrs and
early in the morning before work and school) I did do some mountain
bike races. It was an interesting experience but not one that sucked
me in. It just seemed a bit too nerve wracking. For years I rode with
a club (I use that term very loosely) where we would head out for fast
short rides and all day slogs on mountain and road bikes every
weekend. It was a nice group of people who were fun to ride with, some
of whom raced. When I moved to Portland 3yrs ago I stumbled upon
randonneuring and love it. My first year my main goal was to just have
fun and finish the rides. A 200k requires a bit of "seriousness" even
if you're going at a leisurely pace. The second year, this year, I
tried to complete my brevets a little faster. I was shooting for R70
times (see http://www.cyclosmontagnards.org/R80Rules.html for
details). This did add some pressure but not in the same way racing
does. I maintained R70 times for the 200k, 300k and 400k, brevets but
the 600k brevet was all about survival (http://randobooks.blogspot.com/
2009/06/oregon-600km-xtr.html). As for next year, my goals are to
complete another super randonneur series and maybe complete a Cyclos
Montagnards challenge with my friend Joshua. I probably ride a lot
more than serious racers but I would never throw myself in with that
lot. I just love cycling. 16+ years of steady cycling and I remain
obsessed with getting on my bike and heading out for long adventurous
slogs like this one 2 days ago:
http://cycles-j-bryant.blogspot.com/2009/12/wilderness-mtn-road.html

Crud, I need to get into work. Time to hop on the bike.

--mike