Simplicity as in one shifter to cover a wide-range of gear ratios.  A 1X9
system would work just as well, but I've observed newbies/kids don't get the
whole two-shifters thing.

On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Steve Palincsar <palin...@his.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-12-06 at 12:02 -0800, cyclotourist wrote:
> > I think using one in wet & mucky conditions would be a pretty good set
> > up.  I wouldn't want one as I'm always changing flats due to
> > thorns/debris and don't want to mess w/ an IGH.  Also, IGHs seem like
> > a cool deal for kids who are learning to shift and/or someone learning
> > or re-learning to ride.  Simplicity is nice!
>
> Other than needing to keep pedalling while the shift completes, what's
> any more difficult about derailleur shifting than IG hub shifting?  I
> find brifter action confusing - but then, I seem to be the only one who
> does, and I find twist grip shifters confusing, too.  Triggers, bar ends
> and down tube shifters all make perfect sense.
>
> And when it comes to "simplicity" the only thing "simple" about an
> internal geared hub is that it's all hidden inside the hub shell.  It's
> far more complex mechanically than a derailleur drive train, it's just
> that you can't see it.
>
> And when it comes to removing a wheel, either to transport the bike or
> to fix a flat, derailleur wins hands down.  There are no complicated
> linkages to remove, and you have quick releases to allow for tool-free
> opening.
>
> Maintenance?  Removing the chain's no more difficult with one or the
> other, although obviously tensioning the chain correctly is harder with
> an internal geared hub than a derailleur, especially if you have
> vertical dropouts.  Can cleaning a derailleur be all that hard?
>
> I'd say the bottom line is, IG hubs have one advantage: you can shift
> without moving the cranks.
>

> > On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery
> > <thill....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >         (BTW, I'm cringing at the idea of installing one of these
> >         heavy/draggy/
> >         hard-to-fix hubs on a fine bicycle like a Rambouillet, which
> >         will
> >         require strange cable routing, a chain tensioner, etc. I have
> >         worked
> >         on and ridden MANY of these, and still don't fully understand
> >         the
> >         appeal for most bikes... What the heck is wrong with modern
> >         derailleurs?)

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy